In 2017, Sota Clothing inaugurated the Minnesota Nice Project. This initiative is our way of serving those around us by doing what we do best: designing t-shirts. In 2017 we added new apparel, warehouse shopping events and a 180-mile bike ride to raise money for cancer research at the University of Minnesota Masonic Center. At the beginning, we weren’t sure what our contribution would be- but we were committed to our best. Because of the generous and compassionate community that stands behind Sota Clothing, we were able to generate over $15,000 to the researchers at the Masonic Center.
For our 2018 Minnesota Nice Project, our ambition of being a healing presence in the world of cancer remains. While touring Children’s Minnesota hospital in Minneapolis, we were reminded of the numerous trials that multiply for a family post diagnosis. The daily demands involved in a fight for life can leave a family’s emotional, physical, and financial resources nearing depletion. We learned that priorities that once lived at the top of a parents list may get left by the wayside as they come to terms with a new reality.
In light of this, Children’s Minnesota established the Cancer Kids Fund as a means for meeting emotional, spiritual, and financial needs for both the patients and their family.
The Gillespies are just one family who were assisted by the Cancer Kids Fund when their seven-year-old son Teige was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL).
Through the fund, Teige’s family was able to experience some reprieve from the daily demands of life that do not get put on hold when cancer enters the story. Resources like parking passes, meal vouchers and assistance with two mortgage payments were made available to them through the Cancer Kids Fund.
In our 2018 Minnesota Nice Project, we want to invite the Sota Clothing community to join us as we rally for families shaken by cancer. By supporting Children's Minnesota Cancer Kids Fund, we can come alongside families whose hearts are tried and tired, and give them some reprieve so that they can focus on what is most important: championing their children through the fight of their lives.
Some ways to jump in on Sota's 2018 Minnesota Nice Project
- 100% of proceeds from our MN Nice Project caps will be donated to the Cancer Kids Fund. Purchase your cap to rep over the spring and summer season (will be available in both adult and youth sizes).
- Lumber Jack 5K on February 24th- a portion of the proceeds will be donated to Cancer Kids Fund
- Summer Solstice Warehouse Shopping Event (keep watch for event details)
- September Campaign- #ShineBrightforKids
- The Sota Clothing team will be serving meals at the Ronald MacDonald homes over the spring season, sign up your own family or workplace to serve a meal at their Minneapolis or St. Paul locations.
Children's Minnesota Cancer Kids Fund donation page: